JOB OPENINGS FOR EMERGENCY FIRE FIGHTERS, CAMP HELP & FIRE OVERHEAD
The Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes, Division of Fire is preparing for the 2018 fire season. All individuals interested in applying to be placed on our Roster for an Emergency Hire (Casual Pay – AD) Firefighter, Camp Crew Member, or Overhead position must meet the following Requirements.
QUESTIONS? Call JIM “Buttercup” CLAIRMONT, SUZANNE PALMER or DEVIN CLAIRMONT at 676-2550
AGE REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be 18 years of age on or before June 1, 2018
EMERGENCY FIREFIGHTER APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- February 26, 2018 – Begin accepting applications
- Complete applications at the CS&KT, Division of Fire office, 44592 Old US. Highway 93 North, Ronan, MT. Monday thru Thursday 8:30 am – 12:00 pm and 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm.
- Provide two (2) acceptable forms of identification (per USCIS I-9 – “Employment Eligibility Verification” requirements): 1) Picture I.D. that establishes identity (i.e. a valid Driver’s License or Native American Tribal ID), PLUS 2) Document that establishes employment eligibility (i.e. US Social Security Card or an original or certified copy of a birth certificate). Expired documents CANNOT be accepted. (Note: A valid passport will meet requirements of both #1 & #2).
- Applicants must reside within the boundaries of the Flathead Reservation and remain there for the fire season.
- Any Felony or Misdemeanor Convictions MUST be disclosed on the application. Acceptance into the NAC Program will be on a case by case basis.
PHYSICAL FITNESS EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS
- All experienced Firefighters who completed an Arduous exam in 2015 through CHSi & received a Qualified or Qualified with Risk Mitigation/Waiver Determination must complete a Periodical Exam through CHSi for 2018. Any experienced firefighters who took the arduous exam in 2016 or 2017 will need to completed the DOI MSP Self-Certification-1 or -2 online in the CAS system. All will need to obtain a certification of being qualified prior to taking the Work Capacity Test (WCT). Exams must be taken every 3 years and self-certification takes place the two (2) years in between.
- All new Firefighter applicants are required to complete an Arduous exam through CHSi prior to taking the Work Capacity Test.
- All Camp Help or Overhead positions requiring light or moderate exams must complete an exam on the “SF178 Medical Examination” form & provide a completed & signed “Medical Examination Certificate” from the exam as a Condition of Hire. The applicant schedules and pays for their own exam. Exam forms are provided by Division of Fire.
WORK CAPACITY (PACK) TEST REQUIREMENTS - (Must be 18 years old to take WCT)
- Positions require the successful completion of an Arduous (Firefighter or Overhead), Moderate (Overhead), or Light (Camp Help and Overhead) physical fitness level Work Capacity Test.
- The Arduous fitness level Work Capacity Test consists of completing a 3-mile hike wearing a 45-pound pack in 45 minutes or less.
- The Moderate fitness level Work Capacity Test consists of completing a 2-mile hike wearing a 25-pound pack in 30 minutes or less.
- The Light fitness level Work Capacity Test consists of completing a 1-mile hike in 16 minutes or less.
It is recommended that prospective emergency firefighters start an aerobic and muscular fitness program 6 weeks prior to taking the Work Capacity (pack) Test. We encourage applicants to contact a local fitness center and obtain a training program to prepare for the test.
TRAINING REQUIREMENTS : First year Firefighters (Rookie) and Camp Help must attend a Basic Firefighter Training Course.
STANDARDS FOR SURVIVAL REFRESHER -All experienced Firefighters must attend a mandatory Standards for Survival Refresher Training Course every year.
*CALL AHEAD – WORK CAPACITY TEST DATES MAY BE CANCELLED IF NOT ENOUGH PARTICIPANTS **SPECIAL NOTE - Applications for employment will not be offered after June 2, 2018 for Rookie or Experienced firefighters.
DRUG TESTING REQUIREMENTS
- Must successfully pass a pre-hire drug test as a Condition of Hire
- Appointments will be scheduled by Division of Fire within 48 hours of application completion.
- Applicants pay the $51 testing fee at the Hospital prior to testing.
- Drug tests from other organizations or agencies will not be accepted.
- Two (2) “NO SHOWS” & YOU ARE OUT FOR THE SEASON
2018 DRUG TEST PROCEDURES:
- DOF will schedule a Drug Test for the applicant as close to 48 hours after application as possible.
- Applicant will check in at St. Luke Community Hospital Front Check-In Desk.
- Applicant will pay the Drug Test fee of $51 at the front desk of the Hospital and obtain a receipt from the hospital.
- Applicant will take the receipt to St. Luke Community Hospital Lab and take their drug test.
If any applicant’s result is “Presumptive Positive” and the specimen requires additional testing, the applicant will be contacted by the Lab to determine if the applicant wishes to pay the additional $38 for the DRG to forward the specimen to the PAML lab for verification testing.
If the applicant does not wish to pay the additional cost, then their test will be considered “Positive” and they will not be allowed to go any further in the application process for this year (a positive test results in being disqualified from the NAC program for 6 months).